|To go to the CF 3333 Syllabus, click here||To go to the CF 3333 Schedule,click here|
CF 3333 Clash of Cultures
ESSAY ASSIGNMENT: SUMMER, 2012
1. Your essay is due at noon on Tuesday July 24. Late papers will be accepted, but will penalized one letter grade for each day after the due date (e.g., B to C). No exceptions to this policy will be granted unless there is a legitimate (documented) excuse. Papers must be handed to your instructor.
2. Your essay should be no more than six pages in length.
3. Please follow the instructions found in the “Format for Out-of-Class Papers” available on the course web site. Review those instructions and the assignment with care. Your essay should open with a “thesis paragraph” which presents the major ideas of your analysis; it should be a summary of that analysis. The essay should end with a concluding paragraph that briefly reviews the points made.
4. Define the terms you use. Be sure to explain important terms, concepts, and ideas to support your major points with specific factual and/or documentary evidence, e.g., citations. The three authors found in the Corporatism handout should be cited by name bit with no page number.
5. Your essay should be confined to the assigned readings in Adler, Tocqueville, and, to a lesser extent, More.
1. The general topic for this essay is: Democratic Culture and The Parent-Child Relationship.
2. Re-read with care the definitions of civilization, culture, institutions, and society found in your SourceBook. Ponder what Tocqueville has to say on the issues raised by this assignment. Lastly review your notes on Hard Times as you prepare to make the required contrasts.
3. Then, after working up an intellectual sweat, compose a coherent, well-focused essay in which you do the following: