Vaucouleurs: The Castle

Map showing the major structures of Vaucouleurs. [Scott]


2) Main entrance to de Baudricourt's fortress. [TF 1984]


3) To the right is the main entrance to fortress. To the left are the remains of the Gate of France. [1910]


4) Remains of de Baudricort's castle and entrance to his audience hall. [TF 1984]


5) Detail of the entrance to the audience hall. [TF 1984]


6) Last remaining tower of the 'Gate of the King' part of Vaucouleurs' old town wall. [TF 1984]


7) Largest rebuilt section of old Vaucouleur's town wall. This tower is called 'The Tower of the English.' [TF 1984]


8) Interior of the 'English Tower.' [TF 1984]


9) The remains of the Gate of France. According to Henry Bataille, the preeminent archeologist of Vaucouleurs, the tower we see today was rebuilt in 1734. The original watch tower that stood over the Gate of France was 60 feet high. [1905]


10) The Gate of France. [TF 1984] 


UP ARROW IndexLEFT ARROW Previous PartRIGHT ARROW Next Part


Back Home